Meltzer Lippe has been recognized as the leading Tax Law firm, both in size and quality of attorneys, on Long Island. We are highly respected on a regional and national level. Our tax attorneys come to us with years in practice, many at the world’s largest and most prestigious law firms. Others join us after having spent time in practice at the IRS or U.S. Treasury Department; and most have an LL.M. in Taxation or Estate Planning. Our practice spans the disciplines of federal taxation, state and local taxation and international taxation; both inbound and outbound. Our style of practice is not institutional. We put our client’s goals and objectives first.
Our attorneys include:
• Former Member, U.S. Treasury Department Office of Tax Policy
• Majority of attorneys with LL.M. degrees in Tax and Estate Planning
• Professors of Tax Law at NYU School of Law, Cardozo School of Law, Hofstra University School of Law and Baruch College
• Several attorneys who are C.P.A.’s and M.B.A.’s
• Former Senior Attorneys with IRS Office of Chief Counsel
• Chair, Nassau County Bar Association, Tax Committee
• Chair, Sales, Exchange & Basis Committee, Tax Section of the American Bar Association
• Chair, Trust & Estate Law Committee, American Bar Association
• Member of the Bloomberg BNA Tax Management Advisory Board
• Member of the Bloomberg BNA Real Estate Advisory Board
• Member of the NYU Institute on Federal Taxation Advisory Board
• Member of the Practical Tax Strategies Editorial Board
• Member of the Wealth Management, Trusts & Estates Magazine Editorial Advisory Board
• American College of Trust & Estate Counsel fellows
• U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers
• New York Super Lawyers
Whether in financing, acquisitions, complex restructuring or construction and leasing, we offer our tax/real estate clients solutions to vexing tax and allocation issues arising from real estate holdings, operating and partnership agreements. Combining our expertise in Tax, Real Estate, Joint Ventures and Partnerships practice groups, we represent clients in sophisticated real estate transactions, including, but not limited to sale, exchange, lease and property refinancing, IRC Section 1031 tax-free exchanges, installment sales, long term lease agreements and sale-leasebacks. These types of clients have specialized needs which is the central focus of our practice.
We specialize in servicing private clients, such as high net-worth individuals, closely held businesses and middle market companies, both publicly and privately held. We represent clients internationally, offering representation in corporate, partnership and individual taxation; domestic and international taxation; tax planning for executive compensation; tax audits, appeals and litigation; employment tax planning; tax planning for foreign investors in U.S. properties and businesses; tax planning for offshore trusts; tax planning for U.S. businesses conducted in foreign jurisdictions; tax planning for domestic and international mergers and acquisitions; tax planning for domestic and international joint ventures; estate and gift tax planning and income taxation of trusts and estates. In short, we maximize client opportunity with focused, tax-efficient transactions.
The scope of our expertise is broad and allows us to offer strategic tax planning counsel in all matters of corporate, business and investment transactions, including: acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, spin-offs and divisions, dissolutions and liquidations contributions, distributions, redemptions, direct stock and asset acquisitions. We handle tax-free reorganization and exchanges, business transfer and restructurings, and close transactions with minimum tax liability.