More Practice Areas
Our office comprises over 50 attorneys offering a variety of legal services to local, national and international clients. In addition to our core practice areas, you will find seasoned counsel in the following:
- Art Law
Structure art investment partnerships and joint ventures; prepare publishing contracts for multiples and graphics; general corporate representation to art galleries; estate planning and commercial representation to artists in their dealings with galleries and publishers; advice and litigation services to galleries and artists, as well as purchasers and sellers.
- Bankruptcy/Creditors’ Rights
Representation of secured and unsecured creditors, trustees and other parties including investors and official committees before United States Bankruptcy Courts; bankruptcy litigation; extensive motion practice; purchase and sale of assets in bankruptcy; representation of lending institutions in debt restructuring and dischargeability actions; fraudulent conveyances, preferences, substantive consolidation and equitable subordination; insolvency; creditors’ rights; asset recovery and prosecution of commercial foreclosure actions.
- Employee Benefits
Executive compensation; stock options and stock plans including income and estate planning; pension plans; profit sharing plans; welfare benefit programs; 401(k) plans; ERISA; estate and distribution planning from pension; retirement plans; mergers & acquisitions; ESOP plans; tax deferred annuities; non-qualified deferred compensation plans; welfare plans including cafeteria plans, VEBAS and flexible spending programs; plan mergers, consolidations and terminations; Securities and Exchange Commission compliance, filing and prospectus requirements for company stock funds in qualified plans; design and implementation of qualified and non-qualified stock option plans; phantom stock plans for the close business; equity based deferred compensation; representation before IRS in all employee benefit matters, including plan audits; civil and criminal Department of Labor investigations of welfare plans and international employee benefit issues.
- Government Relations & Regulatory Affairs
Representation of individuals and businesses before federal, state and local legislatures, committees and agencies; development and execution of legislative strategies; government contract testimony and litigation; constitutionality and validity of new laws.
- Intellectual Property
Patents, copyrights & trademarks litigation and protection; strategic planning; intellectual property audits; trademark searching, clearance and registration; patent prosecution, validity opinions, licenses and transfers; trade secret protection; litigation of intellectual property disputes; intellectual property due diligence; distributorship and joint venture agreements; Internet domain name registration and disputes; infringement and validity of intellectual property rights; patent, copyright, trademark and trade secret infringement cases; comprehensive protection of computer software and hardware, telecommunications, digital electronics, semiconductors and Internet-related intellectual property.
- Internet, Technology and E-Commerce
Representation of Internet, E-Commerce and other technology companies from inception through various stages of growth; assistance in raising “seed”, venture capital, and mezzanine levels of finance; public offerings; structuring of technology transfer, joint venture, media exchange and software licensing transactions; cyberspace agreements including website development, web hosting, electronic distribution, online publishing, and server-access; protection of intellectual property rights – patents, copyrights, trademarks and domain names; preparation of option and other executive and employee compensation plans; mergers and acquisitions; non-competition, trade secret and other protective agreements and sophisticated tax and litigation services.
- Investment Funds
- Investor Representation: structuring and negotiating the terms of investments of high net-worth investors, family offices and private companies in alternative investment funds, including private equity funds, hedge funds, fund of funds and real estate funds, particularly through the use of side letters and/or requests for amendments and modifications to fund partnership agreements.
- Asset Manager Representation: evaluating, structuring and negotiating terms of seed capital investments in emerging managers; formation of investment advisory firms and related companies, including incentive arrangements for employees and equity ownership arrangements for principals; advise on conflicts of interests, fiduciary duties and other legal issues arising in the operation of alternative investment funds, including compliance with the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
- Fund Formation: structuring and formation of alternative investment funds, including private equity funds, hedge funds, fund of funds and real estate funds; negotiating agreements with service providers such as placement agents, prime brokers, administrators and financing counterparties.
- Fund Counsel: advice on the ongoing operations and business of alternative investment funds, including transfers of fund interests between investors, defaults, strategic investments and portfolio company acquisitions and dispositions, financing, asset valuation, tax issues, ERISA issues and compliance with the Investment Company Act of 1940.
- Municipal Law
Representation of municipal boards; drafting of local laws; zoning and variance litigation.